Friday, June 5, 2015

If at First You Don't Succeed.......

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! This has always been my motto for gardening. If the plants don't look right or aren't growing good in one spot, try them somewhere else! (Not that it always worked! Ha!)
Last year, I wasn't too excited about my front flower beds. They were just okay. I thought in another year when it grew in I would like them better. But this Spring I realized it was the not-so-clear landscape plan I wasn't enchanted with!
  I also realized I was trying to make both sides of the flowers beds too even. Obviously the right side is larger, no getting around that! A tidy semi-formal landscape was what I was leaning toward, something that would be welcoming and soften the yard, but not overwhelm the tiny yard or house. I also knew what plants I wanted, but didn't know where I wanted them.
Then inspiration hit! On our walk one morning, I spied a front flower bed I liked and thought it would work for my house too. Now all I had to do was wait until it was warm enough to garden!
It was one of my first projects on the list this spring and I finally got the finishing touchs done last week! 
 Bleeding Heart  and Geraniums are filling in until I find another bush, (probably a hydrangea) on the right side of the stairs.
 I choose very traditional plants, planted in three rows; back row, Hydrangea, next a row of Boxwood and then Geraniums.
 Since Geraniums are annuals, next year I might plant something else!
 You can't see them in this picture, but there are three more little Hydrangea bushes there. Hopefully they will make it!
Coral Bells by the front step. One of my favorites. I am so excited to see them blooming this year!
 Now I just need lots of warm weather to get things growing!
 We also tried coco shells for our mulch. It is looking very nice and the smell is heavenly!

6 comments:

  1. It looks great and I am like you....I try to make things too matchy/matchy and that doesn't always work in landscaping. The bleeding heart is perfect and it looks so nice altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! Lol! Gardening is always a bit trial and error with me. But eventually I get there! I love the Bleeding Heart and since it is a very shady spot it stays for a long time. I am thinking a small bush for added structure in last summer when it finally dies back.

      Delete
  2. Your house is just darling! And I like the shrubs and geraniums. Annuals like geraniums are nice because they give color from the moment you plant them until we get a hard frost. I'm still trying to figure out what to plant where...after all these years! Your flower beds look beautiful. Have a wonderful weekend. Oh. I do think a nice Bridal Wreath Spirea on either side of your steps might be a nice touch. I've always loved that look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I love how unfussy and long lasting geraniums are. You can always count on them! I will have to look up Bridal Wreath Spirea. Though I am a little leery of any Spirea shrubs as we had a few once and had to trim them almost every week to keep them neat. I guess I like tidy shrubs!

      Delete
  3. You have the sweetest house with tasteful curb appeal. Our condo is for sale and we are moving to another city. I would love to have my husband buy a house like the one in Apron History.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! That is a high compliment indeed! Thank you so much! Good luck on moving and your house search. I had to look for several months until I found my little cottage, so keep searching!

      Delete